So I have been running my own business for a while now. But before I took the leap to work for myself, I worked in and managed small, medium and large businesses, in retail, water broking, apprentice management and I.T.. Quite a spread really, looking back! One big thing I realised when I started working for myself, was that it took a lot of drive to make sure I was productive. It is easy now, but at the start, wow, what a mindset shift! I went from the 8:30 to 5:30 grind to near complete flexibility!
Well I tell you now, Netflix and my PS4 all got a decent workout!
But I knew it wasn’t sustainable. I realised that if I wanted to make a real go of working for myself, I needed to get back in a mindset that allowed me to achieve and succeed. So I thought, whats the big difference? And after a little thought, I found it. It’s routine!
Think about it, working for “a boss” means you have to be somewhere, at a specific time, for a specific amount of time, and ideally achieve as much as possible in that time. Working for someone else makes you accountable to someone, but working for yourself, if there isn’t a client needing you, means the only person to keep you accountable is you.
So what tips have I got for you, if you find yourself in a similar situation, whether working from home away form your regular office, an entrepreneur just starting up, or a seasoned small business operator? Here’s a few things I learned!
- Build your routine – find it and stick to it! Put it in your calendar, set reminders and keep yourself on track
- Mornings are your best friend! Get up! Get out of bed, no snooze button, just do it, go have a shower and wake up
- Breakfast – a full bacon and eggs or even a protein smoothie, whatever, eat, your brain needs it
- Exercise – find the time, make the time, move a meeting, whatever, but get out of the house, stretch your legs, talk to some people. Not only good for you physically, but also your mental health!
- Get dressed – and I don’t mean just house clothes or comfy track pants, I mean get dressed as if you were having a meeting, even if you don’t that day. You’d be surprised how much this changes your thought process
- Keep your home office seperate – now I know space is sometimes and issue. But you will eventually get to a point where you need separation, and being able to shut the door to your work space will do wonders for you (and your family!)
I am sure there is more! But these are the big ones for me! Everyone is different, and you will find what works for you, but these work for me. Give them a shot, maybe they will work for you!
Did you enjoy this article? Feel free to share it!